Hi Dear Friends,
Thanks to online platforms, buying art has become easier and more accessible than ever before - this is definitely great news to those of you looking to buy art! But for anyone who feels a little hesitant to buy online, here are just a few reasons why you may want to consider it:
- More options to choose from: Both artists and artworks can get a huge amount of exposure online, so you have even more options to choose from - artwork from different regions, of different styles, and which might come from those newer artists who haven't yet shown their artworks in art fairs and galleries. This means you've got a great chance of finding artwork that really speaks to you
- Discovering new art is easier: Not only can you find artwork more easily by looking on the internet, but you can take your time to look based on your own schedule. That means when you're finally buying a piece, it's because you're ready. You're not buying because you feel under pressure or rushed; in fact, you're actually enjoying the experience of buying your art (like it should be!)
- Quick and efficient purchasing: If you don't want to visit galleries (or don't have the time to go), as long as the websites are set up efficiently, you can buy directly from an artist or online auction. These usually have an easy payment and delivery process that also don't take too long. How convenient!
- Browsing and buying can be done at your own pace: Not only can you find artwork more easily by looking on the internet, but you can take your time to look and research based on your own schedule. That means when you're finally buying a piece, it's because you're ready. You're not buying because you feel under pressure or rushed by a salesperson (we've all felt how overwhelming that can be). In fact, you're actually enjoying the experience of buying your art, after taking the time you need to think (like it should be!)
- Access to more information: Online platforms provide a huge amount of information on individual artists, their motivations, and vision. This gives you the chance to virtually 'meet' artists and to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of their work. Then, if you do end up buying artwork from them, it's even more meaningful because you know how, why, where that piece came to be... and from which artist. Isn't that beautiful? What I love about getting to 'meet' the artist is that if you really do connect with one of their pieces, you have the chance to talk to them, understand them, and potentially keep in touch for future pieces... you build a real relationship with them as a person
- More competitive and transparent pricing: You can now search and compare pricing for pieces being sold online - that way you can be sure that you're making an informed decision to buy or not
- Accessibility and comfort: Buying art online can be less intimidating than visiting a gallery to buy a piece in person. If you're looking online, then you're more likely to feel comfortable talking to artists directly and asking questions (it's good learning for everyone). Knowing that there aren't crowds of people around you to make you feel self-conscious can also make browsing a lot more relaxed. This is probably going to be really valuable for you if you're quite new to the art world (and remember, we all start off new to all sorts of things, and we learn along the way)
I hope you enjoyed this post - let me know which of these points would be most likely to convince you to buy artwork online?